Biology Student Ambassadors for 2022-2023
- Kyle Nickerson is a senior Integrative Biology major with a Biochemistry minor on the Pre-Medical track. Kyle performed research at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center on the effects of administration of a coagulant to Head Trauma patients in a pre-hospital setting. This last summer Kyle spent his time becoming a certified EMT and shadowing a Primary Care Physician working in a medically under-served area of Los Angeles County. During the semester, Kyle is an active member of the Student Health Advisory Council and a Supplemental Instructor for Dr. Fernandez-Luna's Genetics course. Outside of school, Kyle loves to Wakeboard for the Baylor Wake club team and ride at the BSR. You can contact Kyle at email@example.com.
- Lauren Young is a senior Cell and Molecular Biology major with a French minor on the Pre-Medical track. During her time at Baylor, she has served as an undergraduate research student in Dr. Urlacher’s Human Evolutionary Biology Lab in the Anthropology Department at Baylor where she studies the relationship between chronic stress and stunting in children of horticulturalist populations. This summer, Lauren spent her time as a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow at the University of Texas at Austin’s Livestrong Cancer Institute under Dell Medical School. Lauren’s other extracurricular activities include being the financial secretary of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated where she helps with incoming finance assets. She is also the treasurer, fundraising chair, and a service ambassador for the Multicultural Association for Pre-Health Students (MAPS) where she tutors middle school students over zoom and aids the club in executing fundraisers by partnering with local Waco businesses. Lauren is also a Trailblazer Scholar hoping to one day promote health equity in the medical field. You can contact Lauren at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lydia Saucedo is a senior Cell and Molecular Biology major with both Biochemistry and Business minors on the Pre-Medical track. Her passion for biology has grown ever since she set foot at Baylor University. Lydia’s freshman year, she was an undergraduate researcher in Dr. Harvill’s BIO 1406 course. She later became a Learning Assistant for the course which gave her the opportunity to mentor a group of individuals on their research project. Nowadays, Lydia is a Teaching Assistant for the Surgical Skills Program which has allowed her to work with an amazing community while further developing her interest in medicine. Additionally, she is also researching HPV Vaccination attitudes with Dr. Abel and a group of students. This past summer, Lydia conducted research under the mentorship of Dr. Harvill for iBears Network and she participated in a shadowing/internship experience at Endohospital, a hospital dedicated to gastric sleeve surgeries located in Mexico. Outside of school, she loves attending her weekly Bible study group and playing the piano as much as she can. You can contact Lydia at email@example.com.
- Alaina Le is a sophomore Cell and Molecular Biology major with a Biochemistry minor on the Pre-Medical track. She’s also a member of the Baylor Interdisciplinary Core (BIC) within the Honors College. As a freshman, she lived at the Science and Health LLC, where she participated in the Surgical Skills Program and cultivated her interest in biology and medicine. Starting this upcoming semester, she is excited to conduct research concerning HPV Vaccination and Public Health Outreach with Dr. Abel, Dr. Walden, and a group of students, including her fellow ambassador Lydia. Beyond her studies, Alaina is passionate about service. During her spring break, she went on a trip with Baylor Missions to aid in Hurricane Ida relief in her home state of Louisiana, and throughout the school year, she enjoys serving weekly at the Indian Springs Middle School garden club through the Multicultural Association for Pre-Health Students (MAPS). She also loves spending time with friends, playing board games, making art, and going to mass at St. Peter’s. You can contact Alaina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Salvador Medrano is a junior Cell and Molecular Biology major with a Biochemistry minor on the Pre-Medical Track. Since his freshman year Salvador has been a part of the Surgical Skills Program as a Teaching Assistant, working to teach various medical skills to freshmen at Earle Hall. Salvador is a member of Alpha Epsilon Delta where he serves as a Pre-Health Symposium Chair. He is also involved in a student-led research group through the Baylor Bridges Pre-Health Incubator that is attempting to increase the reading levels of minority students through the use of print exposure and culturally responsive teaching. Outside of school, Salvador enjoys cars and spending time with friends. You can contact Salvador at Salvador_Medrano1@baylor.edu.
- Jada Truong is a junior Cell and Molecular Biology major with a minor in business administration on the Pre-Medical Track. In her freshman year, she proudly joined Baylor's Medical Student Organization where she found and grew her love and passion for service, people, and the community of Waco. Since then, she is now MSO's Service Chair where she oversees almost 30 different "cells" (volunteer sites) all around the city! Besides MSO, she is involved in the Biological Honor Society on campus, Beta Beta Beta, and is their Vice President and Service Chair. Additionally, she serves as the secretary for Bear Tracks under the Pre-Health Department, which aims to bridge the gap between students and shadowing opportunities. Despite being a biology major, Jada has found interest in environmental science, and she is beginning research in an environmental science lab! This past summer, Jada participated in an internship at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine, and she shadowed a variety of specialties, including neuroscience! In her free time, Jada loves to hang out with her family, friends, and dog, Biscuit Vanilla Bean Shortcake. Occasionally, you may find her rock climbing in the SLC, attending on-campus events, or going on her weekly run to Chipotle. You can contact Jada at email@example.com with any questions, even non-bio-related ones!